December 15, 2014

Dear Family and Friends,                               Monday, December 15, 2014 at 2:11 p.m. (EST)

Wow this week has been a crazy week. I found out Saturday that I am leaving Essex. Elder Parry will be staying here and I will be shotgunning a new area with a new Zone Leader. So that was a surprise. I dont know where I will be going but I will buy something on the home card. So watch out tomorrow for that.

I am really going to miss this area, and I am going to miss Vermont. I am bummed to be leaving. It snowed from Tuesday to Saturday. So now we have about 2 feet of snow on the ground. That messed up a lot of our work. We had a lot of appointments cancel.

We dropped our only investigator because he wont keep his commitments, although we were able to find a couple of new less actives to teach.

We spent a lot of time this week shoveling the snow. This week was a whole lot better than last week. I really appreciated all the letters of support encouraging me to keep working hard. It has helped and this week I felt a lot better about the work.

We had a cool experience this week. So last Saturday a family in the ward, the Fellows found out that their young daughter Sophie has a brain tumor. They had to rush her down to the Boston Children's hospital. She was supposed to play violin with her class of violinists at the Christmas concert. So the whole group of violinists went to the hospital to have their concert there. She was able to play with them. They put it on the news Thursday night for the Burlington area and the story is in the Boston Globe. You should look it up.

Boston Globe article about Sophie

Well Thursday night we were tracting and we knocked on a door. The lady said, "Nows not a good time I am just about to watch Sophie." We had no idea what she was talking about so she clarified that she was talking about Sophie Fellows. She asked us if we wanted to come in and watch. We dont usually watch TV but we made an exception. So we watched the short segment she is in. It was amazing to see the faith of the family and of her. The Fellows are the family that we built the fire at and had smores. If you could pray for them that would be great. Sophie is about 9 years old. She had her first surgery on Friday. She was in surgery for 8 hours. We have a lot of medical students in our ward and one of them described the procedure. He said that it is dangerous, especially since the tumor is in the back of her brain. It is about the size of a plum. They were able to get most of the tumor out but they weren't able to get all of it. She goes back into surgery tonight to get the rest of the tumor. It is really amazing to see all the faith and prayers of the Essex ward here lately.

Well wish me luck with my new area. I am pretty nervous to shotgun an area.
Elder Jensen

Note:  Shotgunning an area is where both missionaries are new to the area.  Often one missionary has been in the ward/branch with one missionary being new to the area. 

Also interesting Carlton's brother Casey is serving in Vancouver Washington and both of them sent an email home at almost the exact same time.  They have a 3 hour time zone difference.